Installer should allow installation of macport in custom locations - for users without admin access

Scott Webster sewebster at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 22:07:29 PDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 10:01 PM, Scott Haneda <talklists at newgeo.com> wrote:
> Back to MacPorts.  Simple install, defaults to /opt/local.  Well thought out, just like copy and paste was.  /opt/local sets the foundation for MacPorts moving forward.  Advanced users who need something beyond a true "one click install", which is as simple as I can see things getting, will have to know how to build from source.

Yeah.  I agree.  Even if someone bothered to implement choosing your
prefix in the installer then you would have a bunch of people deciding
to change it at random to something else, and then being all confused
later when trying to follow instructions which mention /opt/local.
Building from source is really quite easy, I mean, you just follow the
instructions and type a few commands, so it seems a minimal hurdle to
overcome if you want to change the prefix.

I guess Mark is presumably thinking of a situation where someone just
doesn't have the permissions to install in /opt/local so it isn't just
a willy-nilly desire to put it somewhere else, but still it seems that
compiling from source is not all that hard.

Shrug.

Another Scott