Atlas

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Mar 10 22:59:05 PST 2010

On Mar 11, 2010, at 00:26, vincent habchi wrote:

> Le 11 mars 2010 à 04:04, Frank Schima a écrit :
>
>>> Can someone tell me if this "atlas not universal" affair has been settled, and if not, what it exactly the problem so that I might have a look and try to fix it?
>>
>> It looks like this ticket [1]. atlas was set to not have a universal variant because it does not build universal.
>
> Yes, but why does not it build universal. It builds 32-bit, 64-bit so I guess the problem is in merging the libraries together using lipo, isn't it ?

I don't believe any attempt was ever made to build two separate versions and lipo them together e.g. using the muniversal portgroup, though that would indeed be the required strategy for atlas, since it uses a non-Apple version of GCC which cannot build for multiple architectures simultaneously. You're welcome to see if switching atlas to the muniversal portgroup fixes the issue.

I also don't know whether any attempt has yet been made to verify whether atlas will in fact build for the non-default build_arch. I assume it builds 32-bit on a GCC that defaults to 32-bit (e.g. Leopard), and 64-bit on a GCC that defaults to 64-bit (e.g. Snow Leopard), but I don't know what happens if the user changes build_arch.