Atlas

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Mar 10 23:23:36 PST 2010

On Mar 11, 2010, at 01:13, vincent habchi wrote:

>> I don't believe any attempt was ever made to build two separate versions and lipo them together e.g. using the muniversal portgroup, though that would indeed be the required strategy for atlas, since it uses a non-Apple version of GCC which cannot build for multiple architectures simultaneously. You're welcome to see if switching atlas to the muniversal portgroup fixes the issue.
>
> I faintly remember having tried that a while ago, but it fails. There are some issues at stake, I'll dig deeper if you want.

You can pursue this however you like, but I recommend trying to use the muniversal portgroup rather than inventing yet another new universal build method.

>> I also don't know whether any attempt has yet been made to verify whether atlas will in fact build for the non-default build_arch. I assume it builds 32-bit on a GCC that defaults to 32-bit (e.g. Leopard), and 64-bit on a GCC that defaults to 64-bit (e.g. Snow Leopard), but I don't know what happens if the user changes build_arch.
>
> First, one must alter the gcc-4.4 or gcc-4.3 portfile to allow building with the --multilib option, that generates libraries both for 32 and 64bits. I've done that, and it works perfectly, so I don't really know why this option was disabled (as it seems to have been removed at some point).

I don't know anything about it.

I see you filed a ticket 5 months ago and got no response from the maintainer. Perhaps ask him again.

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/22116

Multilib is also mentioned here.

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/22148

> Then, I vaguely think that atlas should be build somehow as a metaport, calling twice the Portfile with a different bitsize, then lipo'ing everything together via an external script.

We don't have any other port that builds universal that way; I'm not sure how you would even do that. (Portfiles are not in control of "calling" other portfiles.) I would recommend trying to make the muniversal portgroup work, since that is the existing build-and-lipo method we are using successfully in other ports.