GSoC 2010: Call for Mentors

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Thu Mar 11 01:49:57 PST 2010

On 2010-03-08 02:30 , Rainer Müller wrote:
> The deadline for this application is *this Friday, March 12th*.

So far I only got one response, but yet nobody volunteered as mentor.
Additionally MacPorts cannot apply without a backup organization
administrator. Should I provide more general information about the GSoC
program and how it works? Is there a lack of interest in doing GSoC this
year again?

If nobody steps up as backup organization administrator, I am unable to
submit an application. I think that the GSoC program always brought good
features and code into the project and we shouldn't miss this chance.

This is very urgent now, as we need to specify a backup organization
administrator in the application. This person would be responsible for
communication with Google in case I cannot be reached via E-Mail or
whatever. They just always want to know a contact at the organizations.

Mentors can still be gathered after we submitted the application,
although it will make a much better impression if a list of mentors is
already up. This would show that we are really willing to handle
students working for us.

George, Juan, would any or both of you volunteer to drive the GUI
further? Interest in GUI was high in the past.

James, would you be interested in MPWA? There has always been someone
interested in this task.

Florian, could you imagine mentoring MPAB/portmill if anyone is
interested in completing this? We could probably also split up the
"Binaries" task on the ideas page into separate tasks.

Byran, from your current activity level I assume you won't have time for
GSoC this year, right?

Matthew, you maintain a lot of p5-* ports. I put the cpan2port to the
ideas list. Would you be interested in mentoring this?

Jeremy, Perry, you both were mentors last year without a specific
student or project. But you have knowledge of our infrastructure and
source code, so I would like to have you on board again.

Who else?
Please take a look at the tasks listed on our ideas page at
<http://trac.macports.org/wiki/SummerOfCode> and step up if you think
you could lead and help a student to implement this. Ignore the
"Potential mentor" field, that's from last year.

If you are unsure if you will be able to do this, just contact me and I
will give you more details.

Looking forward to get some responses,
Rainer