[GSoC-2010] The Autobuild idea

Pratul Kalia pratul at pratul.in
Thu Mar 11 07:43:28 PST 2010

Hello!

I saw Macports is applying to Summer of Code 2010 as a mentoring
organization. Considering Google does shortlist it, I will be very
interested in working and hacking on the project. I haven't worked
with Tcl before, but I've used Macports solely as my package manager
on OS X for around 2 years now (and I'm working through the Tcl
documentation now)

Going through the ideas list, I saw the Autobuild idea, which was
built on further from Darwin Autobuild. The system comes across as
what perhaps an organization might use if they use a lot of Mac FOSS
stuff. Then they'd have a local binary repository, which would
certainly speed things up.  Am I right in thinking this way?

On an alternate note, has ports ever thought of a binary distribution
system too? (like apt).

Thanks
Pratul

--