VirtualHost handling in apache2 Port

Rodney Rehm / Medialize.de rodney.rehm at medialize.de
Thu Mar 25 08:44:32 PDT 2010

Hi there,

this proposal regards "website" Ports such as phpmyadmin (and many others) which could be run from their own virtual host.
On my development machine I run all those things (eg. phpmyadmin, phppgadmin, xhprof-UI) in their own space, say phpmyadmin.dev, phppgaadmin.dev, and so on.

It would be nice if `port install phpmyadmin +apache2vhost` would
1) add a dependency to apache2
2) create a vhost for phpmyadmin using a (pre-configured) domain scheme (e.g. "${portname}.dev" or "${portname}.localhost")
3) register "${portname}.dev" for localhost in /etc/hosts

The apache2 port would have to be extended by a vhosts variant, that would create ${prefix}/apache2/vhosts and patch httpd.conf to use vhosts and include them from ${prefix}/apache2/vhosts/*.conf - then all other Ports would have a central space for putting their virtual hosts. If you're concerned about security, you can have the ports create their vhosts disabled by default (*.conf.disabled).

Is this something worth considering to you, or should I go play in my own backyard again?

Best regards,
Rod