Google Summer of Code 2010: Get money for working on MacPorts

Ankur Sethi get.me.ankur at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 01:08:07 PDT 2010

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 12:30 AM, Scott Haneda <talklists at newgeo.com> wrote:

> I believe it was on the WordPress blog I read that there is a 5000.00
> prize. Are most students shooting for that, meaning they are going to
> hit more high profile projects like WordPress?

High profile projects get more visibility and (I think) more slots,
but there are some of us who just want to make the software they use
better :)

The $5000 stipend is, of course, very attractive, but the GSoC also
serves two very important purposes: (1) helping the participating
organizations get stuff done and (2) gently introducing students into
the participating organization's community. Even though I use
MacPorts, I probably wouldn't have thought of just picking up
Pallet.app and adding features I want. SoC gives students an incentive
to finally take the plunge and hack on a FOSS project for 3 months.

Also, none of us want to flip burgers in the summer :p

--
Ankur Sethi
(GeneralMaximus on IRC and elsewhere)