Question regarding file dependencies

Thibaut Paumard mlotpot.news at free.fr
Thu May 6 00:15:57 PDT 2010

Hi,

Le 5 mai 10 à 20:15, Ryan Schmidt a écrit :

> Specifying a relative path like "path:lib/libGL.dylib:mesa" is
> always relative to ${prefix}.
>
> You should not create ports that link with /usr/X11/anything. We
> always want to use MacPorts versions of these libraries. See:
>
> http://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#x11-libs
>
> and:
>
> http://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#ownlibs

Thanks for the clarification. I was confused by this bit of the
[1]guide:

"But when satisfying a dependency with vendor-supplied software is
preferred for special reasons, [...], then file dependencies may be
used. An example of the former is with X11 —Apple's is widely
preferred [...]".

It would be helpful to include your answer there:

"Beware though: only Apple's X11 _server_ is preferred. A port should
not build against the client libraries in /usr/X11/ such as
libXext.dylib, see http://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#x11-libs and http://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#ownlibs
."

Best regards, Thibaut.