[72651] trunk/dports

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Oct 21 19:22:48 PDT 2010

On Oct 21, 2010, at 20:46, Rainer Müller wrote:

> Changes like this should not be necessary anymore with 1.9. If you try
> to install +universal and a dependency does not have a universal
> variant, it will print a descriptive error message:
>
> $ sudo port install foo +universal
> Error: Cannot install foo for the arch(s) 'i386 x86_64' because
> Error: its dependency bar is only installed for the arch 'x86_64'
> Error: and does not have a universal variant.
> Error: Unable to execute port: architecture mismatch
> To report a bug, see <http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets>

I would think the error message is directed at the port maintainer, who should do exactly as Dave did and disable the universal variant in these cases. There are users like me who have +universal in their variants.conf and do not want to constantly have to explicitly request -universal when some port's universal variant doesn't work due to problems like the above.