installing multiple copies of macports

Jon Hermansen jon.hermansen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 23:04:20 PDT 2010

I'm not running two MacPorts installs, but you should be able to switch
between separate installations by just calling 'port' out by path, e.g.:

/opt/local1/bin/port install mysql5-server
/opt/local2/bin/port install apache2

Only network services will conflict when they both try to claim a port (or
ports), however, this is typically configurable from within the MacPorts
prefix for the installation, so for Apache, you could have the stock Apple
apache run on port 80, and run your two MacPorts-installed Apaches on ports
81 and 82.

I do not know if MacPorts applications will use /var/run to store process
information (this is the only foreseeable place IMO you could have a
problem). Hopefully they would use ${prefix}/var/run, but you're always
welcome to check the Portfiles / try to run both in parallel and find out if
there is an issue.