port (pkg|dmg)

Marko Käning MK-MacPorts at techno.ms
Sat Oct 23 07:39:19 PDT 2010

Hi Anders,

> The Apple Installer.app doesn't feature uninstall (any longer), so you would need to use a third party utility.
oh my god, I can't believe that now. :( Why would you do that??? Apple must have on-board utilities to deal with this… That would make sense, wouldn't it?
So, what tool shall one use in such a case?

>> Would it mean one would have to install pkg by pkg in reverse order to get rid of the program initially installed?
> You could look at the .bom file inside of each .pkg (with lsbom), to know which files that were installed by it.
Hmm, but say one installed a program using a pkg file and dumps it afterwards.
So, how do I find out at a later time without any mpkg or pkg, what files have been installed for a certain program ?

Speechless I am. I am new to Apple and grew to like it, but I am surprised to hear that one needs a third party tool for this task. :(
MacPorts' infrastructure seems to be better than Apple's software management, if I see that right… ;)

Greets,
Marko