using ccache or distcc with qt4-mac?

Michael Dickens michaelld at macports.org
Tue Oct 26 18:32:03 PDT 2010

I'm looking at tickets #23204, #23206, and #23208 -- all dealing with the fact that ccache or distcc does not play nice with qt4-mac's configure routine.  The attached patches are simple to implement, and I have a version that will play nice with ccache or distcc during configure.  BUT: They are only used when doing direct compiling, not when using QMake to generate the Makefile(s).  Now, I can change that in the spec file so that (for example) CC gets mapped to "${CCACHE} ${configure.cc}", but I really don't know how well that will work if CCACHE is not being used; and, do -all- programs using QMake want to be using CCACHE?  I assume some will not work with it, and hence these values would need to be changed.  Building QMake (during configure) is only a few minutes on even old systems, and in the current state of being all of the build stage will not use ccache or distcc -- so this change will not have a significant impact on the compile time of qt4-mac.  I'm happy to include compatibility for the sake of it with ccache or distcc, but I don't know that I have the time / effort available to do that work.  Anyone have thoughts / opinions? - MLD