Do We Have depends_test?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Apr 5 16:22:55 PDT 2011

On Apr 5, 2011, at 18:09, Rainer Müller wrote:
> On 2011-04-06 00:59 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>> On Apr 5, 2011, at 17:51, Rainer Müller wrote:
>>> PortSystem is meant to be increased once we move on with
>>> incompatible changes to the Portfile syntax. The version number is
>>> currently being used to require the port 1.0 package
>>> (base/src/port1.0).
>>
>> We make incompatible changes in Portfile syntax constantly without
>> increasing the version number. Every time we add a new command and
>> then start using it in Portfiles (depends_fetch, depends_extract,
>> license, supported_archs). And every time we remove a command that
>> used to be valid (cd, exit).
>
> New commands are not incompatible.

Sure they are. A portfile using the new commands will cause a syntax error in old versions of MacPorts. This is what happened when we added the license and supported_archs commands to MacPorts base, and started using them in Portfiles, and people hadn't selfupdated yet:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22invalid+command+name+license%22

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22invalid+command+name+supported_archs%22

Removing old commands is incompatible too. This is what happened when we removed the cd and exit commands from MacPorts base, and people selfupdated, and we hadn't removed them from all Portfiles yet:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22invalid+command+name+cd%22

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22invalid+command+name+exit%22