GSoC application for config files

Andrea D'Amore and.damore at macports.org
Thu Apr 7 08:47:54 PDT 2011

Hello,
from late ml traffic I see most of the attention is on either binary
support and MPWA, I'm going in a different direction  I'm applying
about last year configfiles branches that I worked on.

Basically last year code introduced md5 hash support to registry
(reference to this were already in code comments but it was never
implemented) and checking for config files that have been modified
since they were installed to let the user keep the current
configuration on upgrade action.

I basically implemented the support in registry C interface, made that
info available to Tcl registry code,  and provided a simple keep
old/new option when upgrading is done on a file whose hash value
doesn't match anymore the one written in registry at activation phase.

The code could handle only explicit upgrade on a port, it'd need to be
checked for a more complex serie of operations; it should use an
intelligent merging feature with an interactive menu like other linux
distributions have (the interactive menu can be made non interactive
with flag options).
Moreover I'd like to polish the code and merge with trunk, eventually
before 2.0 is out.

Handling config files, possibly in an intelligent way, was a feature
for which I could see an actual, day-by-day use. What do you think
about?

Regards

--
Andrea