[m]pkg phase

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Sun Apr 10 11:29:26 PDT 2011

Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> You're suggesting this as a solution for the problem that packages produced by MacPorts interfere with MacPorts?
>>
>> Essentially.
>
> Well it's more complicated than that. The packages produced by MacPorts only install into their ${prefix}. They don't install into ${prefix}/var/macports/software/${name}/${version}_${revision}+${variants} and then hardlink into ${prefix} like MacPorts does when it installs things. The "images and archives" branch that was just merged into trunk probably changes this again.
>
> Anyway, this is encompassed in the GSoC 2011 binaries project:
>
> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/SummerOfCode#binaries
>
> (last sentence of second paragraph)

Seems to be confusing pkg(1) and .pkg ? When I wrote that there was no plans to have the MacPorts pkg/mpkg (nor rpm/dpkg) packages install themselves into the registry. Instead it was about extending the archives enough to form a package format, and then develop a command to install only from packages without requiring build from source. But it wouldn't use Installer.app, but instead something Open Source...

Last time I heard, doing that ("archives", i.e. expanding tarballs and parsing portfiles) was "good enough". So there was no interest in exporting the scripts or importing into the registry, when it came to the "packages" (pkg or rpm). That could of course be changed again, and maybe there isn't any need to have anything beyond "port -b" anyway ? But I don't think I'll modify the GSoC text again now...

--anders

PS.
https://trac.macports.org/wiki/SummerOfCode?action=diff&version=159&old_version=158
https://trac.macports.org/wiki/SummerOfCode?action=diff&version=165&old_version=164