So many formats, So few packages

Jeff Johnson n3npq at mac.com
Mon Apr 11 06:18:25 PDT 2011

On Apr 11, 2011, at 4:43 AM, Rainer Müller wrote:

> On 2011-04-07 22:03 , Jeff Johnson wrote:
>> Does MacPorts have a well-defined and documented means of attaching the "new uid's" to
>> ports?
>
> Can you explain that a bit more? I know what a UUID is, but how are they
> being used in Mac OS X binaries or where can I read up on that?

Dunno how UUID's are used by/in Mac OS X binaries. But UUID's are a quite general
mechanism for attaching identifiers to content without getting hung up in all
the details thare are globally portable (assuming the scheme by which the UUID is
attached, basically why I was asking, I'd rather use what MacPorts uses than
attempt my own "http://rpm5.org" set of UUID's. But either approach "works" for me)

You seem to be asking where you can read about how Mac OS X uses UUID's, and
you'll have to ask Jordan about that. I can describe how UUID's are being generated
in RPM metadata if you wish. How the UUID is generated by RPM isn't as important that
UUID's can be generated by others in the same fashion, or by using the same tool.

Even if you wish NOT to publicize how the "identifiers" are generated, the
form of UUID's remains the same which helps focus on general rather than
custom implementations for tracking. One ends up with a cup of bit soup containing
128 bits.

hth

73 de Jeff