[77859] trunk/dports/python

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Mon Apr 18 00:52:50 PDT 2011

On Apr 18, 2011, at 08:36 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:

[…]

> Ports that are not python modules but merely use python probably should only exist as a single port (whose name does not begin with a py*- prefix, and which is not in the python category) and instead have variants for each supported version of python.

The `py26-hggit' port gets installed into the respective python
implementation `site-packages' directory, so in that sense it is a
module (i.e. one could access it via a Python "import hggit"
statement).  But in practice, only the `mercurial' port would use
this, so this is more of a Mercurial extension than a Python module.
I see that the `mercurial' port is in the python26 Portgroup anyways,
so until that port gets rationalized into a multi-Python manner,
it makes sense that `py26-hggit' should stay as it is.  Maybe it
could be renamed to 'hggit' to make it clearer that this isn't
really a Python module that one expects to use.

--
"A screaming comes across the sky.  It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare to it now."