A Plea to Reduce Dependences (e.g., for swig)

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Sat Aug 20 01:45:44 PDT 2011

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> That said, they're definitely using the MacPorts decision to "go heavy" (and controlled) vs "go light" against it in a fairly major way, which relates back to the question I just asked:  Time for a re-think, or perhaps even just the creation of some sort of modality such that those who wish to live on the risky edge can set a switch (and advance apologies if that switch already exists and I simply haven't noticed it yet) and those who don't, or who need to support multiple versions of the OS from a single tree (NFS-mounted /opt/local anyone?), can set the switch to the other position.

One could do a new ports tree, like originally suggested.
That would again reuse everything from /usr and /usr/X11 ?
Then it would be a more "fair" comparison, and more about
Tcl vs Ruby, Svn vs Git, and other port vs brew differences.

But I think Ryan said that such a switch, + systemlibs or
whatever (similar to +system_x11) is not desired for trunk.
And both have the same old tarballs for "packages", whether
they are called archives or bottles. No binary distribution.

--anders

PS. See also https://github.com/adamv/homebrew-alt
    Apparently there's still a need for "dupes"...