Problem building tk with quartz

Jon Keane jkeane at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 21:14:35 PST 2011

I've been trying to setup a decent python development environment with
quartz enabled tk.

I've tried compiling tk +quartz, but that fails as described by:
http://trac.macports.org/ticket/32329
I've tried port install tk +quartz
configure.sdkroot=/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk which works, in that
tk compiles (ostensibly with quartz, although I haven't been able to
confirm this). When I try to install py27-tkinter I get the error:

Error: tk cannot be installed for the configured universal_archs
'x86_64 i386' because it only supports the arch(s) 'i386 ppc'.

This, I'm assuming is because of the following listed in the tk portfile:
# tk/aqua can't build 64-bit, ticket #20799
if {[variant_isset quartz]} {
    supported_archs i386 ppc
}

Additionally I've tried install tcl and tk 8.6b2, which install fine,
but when I go to run anything in python with tk I get the error:

RuntimeError: tk.h version (8.6) doesn't match libtk.a version (8.5)

Has anyone gotten tk and tkinter working on Lion using macports?

-Jon