what's the plan for mac os x lion

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu
Mon Jul 4 14:04:25 PDT 2011

On Mon, Jul 04, 2011 at 01:29:31PM -0700, Blair Zajac wrote:

> On Jul 4, 2011, at 11:30 AM, Jack Howarth wrote:

> >> Out of curiosity, Apple hasn't bumped to a newer gcc version?  Does
> >> anybody know why?  Did they stick with 4.2 for compatibility for
> >> libstdc++?
> >>
> >> Blair
> >
> >   If Apple had access to clang in its current state at the start of Lion's
> > development, I'm sure we would have had clang as the default compiler but
> > alas they have no time machines. FYI, I rewrote fink to implement a prefix-path-clang
> > that defaults fink to use clang for cc/gcc and clang++ for cxx/g++ as the default
> > compilers for package builds under 10.7. So far we have had few problems with using
> > clang as the default compiler under fink 10.7. The FreeBSD folks have been
> > building with clang for awhile now...
> >
> > http://wiki.freebsd.org/BuildingFreeBSDWithClang
> > http://wiki.freebsd.org/PortsAndClang
> > http://rainbow-runner.nl/clang/patches/
> >
> > and is another resource for clang specific patches.
> >              Jack
>
> Thanks Jack.
>
> How's the performance of clang versus gcc 4.2?

  A quick and dirty benchmark with himenoBMTxpa.c at -O3 -ffast-math shows...

Apple gcc-4.2      MFLOPS measured : 171.335360
Apple clang        MFLOPS measured : 186.050091
clang svn          MFLOPS measured : 230.703334
FSF gcc 4.6.1      MFLOPS measured : 249.262880
FSF gcc 4.7svn     MFLOPS measured : 255.698154

Hopefully by the time clang becomes the system compiler, clang/llvm will have caught up
with FSF gcc in terms of vectorization support.
         Jack