update vs new enthought ports

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at vcn.com
Wed Jul 6 08:15:42 PDT 2011

The enthought python packages have been recently updated with a major
version increment (to 4.0.0).  I am planning to submit patches to the
tracker to update the ports (at least the ones needed for mayavi).
However, some of the packages have been consolidated and renamed.  For
example, it appears that envisagecore and envisageplugins have been
merged to just "envisage".  To avoid confusion and breaking dependencies
for the existing enthought ports, I think newly named ports should be
created.

My specific question is:  should the names be pyxx-[enthought-port]4 or
pyxx-[enthought-port]-devel?  For example, either py26-mayavi4 OR
py26-mayavi-devel?  I am leaning to the "4" designation, but wanted to
check with the experts.

BTW, once I have submitted patches for updated py26 enthought ports, I
will submit patches for py27 ports as well (ticket #29370).

Thanks,
Jonathan