[80304] trunk/dports/archivers/xz/Portfile

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Jul 9 03:45:26 PDT 2011

On Jul 8, 2011, at 22:42, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:

>> xz: update to 5.0.3; use bzip2 distfile since it's smaller
>
> I don't mean to be patronizing but with the completion of the GSoC project for popcon we will be able to definitely say that the average MacPorts user will actually benefit from the smaller distribution versus downloading and compiling the handler for it.
>
> Just a comment on the formal verification that we're doing the correct thing.

I'm not sure I understood what your comment here is, but to explain my point again, there is no reason to use a gz distfile when a bz2 distfile is available, because bz2 compresses better than gz and tools for decompressing bz2 files are built into Mac OS X. That is why I switched the distfile type here. It has nothing to do with any GSoC project nor with compiling vs downloading binaries.

xz is an even better (smaller) compression format than bz2 so it's even more preferred, except that in this case the xz port can't itself use an xz distfile because then the xz port would have an extract dependency on itself.