[80313] trunk/dports/devel/liblzma/Portfile

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Jul 9 03:54:49 PDT 2011

On Jul 8, 2011, at 22:45, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:

>> liblzma: update to 5.0.3; use bzip2 distfile because it's smaller; share xz's dist_subdir
>
> Just a remark: I found the commit message cryptographic until I reviewed the actual changes. I thought xz dubdir woudl imply the fetch type and not that the port is similar to xz.
>
> This is likely unique to libzlma but thought you might be interested in the thoughts anyways.

Sorry if the commit message was unclear. I'll explain in more detail. The xz port and the liblzma port both use the same distfile (currently xz-5.0.3.tar.bz2). If each port uses its default dist_subdir (${name}) and a user were to install both ports, they would have to download the same distfile twice, which is wasteful of the user's network bandwidth and time. Our distfiles mirrors would also be mirroring the same file twice, wasting space. To avoid all of this, I make both ports use the same dist_subdir. Since the distfile name is xz-* I chose to use the xz port's dist_subdir. The same situation arises in several other ports, for example graphviz and graphviz-gui, or php5 and all the php5-* ports for bundled modules, or subversion and all the subversion-*bindings ports. It's also recommended that -devel ports share the dist_subdir with their non-devel counterparts (graphviz and graphviz-devel, cairo and cairo-devel, pango and pango-devel, glib2 and glib2-devel, etc.) because these ports might share some secondary distfiles (e.g. minivmac and minivmac-devel).