Upcoming Subversion 1.7

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Sat Jul 16 15:03:05 PDT 2011

On Jul 16, 2011, at 2:28 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Jul 16, 2011, at 14:44, Blair Zajac wrote:
>
>> Normally, we only have a single Subversion release in MacPorts, but
>> with the 1.7 release and its rewrite of the working copy library
>> that switches to SQLite, I'm thinking it would be best to have
>> MacPorts have both 1.6 and 1.7.  I can imagine companies where they
>> won't be upgrading to 1.7 on other operating systems, e.g. Linux,
>> and you'll want to have MacPort's svn continue to use the 1.6
>> working copies when they are shared over the network.
>>
>> Do people think this is a large issue that we should have two svn
>> versions?
>
> I would not expect that to be needed. All Subversion 1.x clients are
> supposed to work with all Subversion 1.x servers, so the only
> possible issue would be as you say shared working copies, which are
> never recommended anyway.

There's nothing wrong if you're sharing on NFS working copies between
Linux and Mac OS X, since they have the same end-of-line characters.
But yes, sharing between Windows and non-Windows is a bad idea.

> Users who want Subversion 1.6 can still do so by following the how-to:
>
> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/InstallingOlderPort
>
> Or they can use the svn client built into Snow Leopard (or, I
> expect, Lion).

Good point.  No need for us to provide 1.6 then.

> If many users complain, a subversion16 port could be created later,
> but I wouldn't worry about that for now unless it proves to be a big
> issue for people.

It could be a pain though, if somebody wanted all the bindings in 1.6
though.

Blair