New Migration procedure

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Sun Jul 17 03:17:26 PDT 2011

On 2011-7-17 10:46 , Rainer Müller wrote:
> On 2011-07-17 02:03 , Joshua Root wrote:
>> Well, you still run into trouble if you're coming from a different arch
>> because of stuff like gawk and gsed that isn't actually depended on but
>> will be used if present by just about every configure script out there.
>> Otherwise the original 'port upgrade --force installed' migration
>> procedure would have worked.
>
> You are right, I haven't thought of these unlisted build dependencies. :-(
>
> But upgrading *could* work if the tools still run correctly on the new
> platform.

Indeed. Tiger -> Leopard probably worked fine, and Snow Leopard -> Lion
will probably work fine. OS X is generally backward compatible, so when
changing os.major but not changing arch, it's never been the issue that
the installed ports don't run. Rather it's that you run into problems
later when linking together bits built for different deployment targets.

- Josh