Using sha256 checksums causes "No checksum set" for MacPorts 1.x

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jul 24 13:28:56 PDT 2011

On Jul 24, 2011, at 15:09, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> Please don't add sha256 checksums to ports yet. Doing so will cause users of MacPorts 1.9.2 to experience the error "No checksum set". And MacPorts 2.0.0 just came out. So let's wait awhile (a couple weeks or months), until most users have updated to MacPorts 2.0.0 before adding sha256 checksums. Thanks.

Correction: it appears using four kinds of checksums for a distfile (md5, sha1, rmd160, and sha256) causes this error. I have now corrected this problem in all ports found doing this. Using sha256 in combination with only one or two other kinds of checksums seems to be fine (except that of course MacPorts 1.9.2 cannot verify sha256 checksums). There is no reason to list more than two kinds of checksums for a distfile anyway, so this should not be a difficult problem for port authors to deal with: simply only list sha1 and rmd160 checksums for each distfile, as we've been recommending for awhile now.