port select integration query

John Patrick nhoj.patrick at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 13:34:15 PDT 2011

I'm looking for more detail documentation and help about how port
select should be used, and how ports should use it.

Basically, the following example, install maven2, select maven2,
uninstall maven2, install maven3. Then if you try and select maven3,
it complains because it is currently selecting maven2 which isn't
available anymore.

$ sudo port install maven2
 [...]
$ sudo port select --set maven maven2
Selecting 'maven2' for 'maven' succeeded. 'maven2' is now active.
$ sudo port uninstall maven2
$ sudo port install maven3
 [...]
$ sudo port select --set maven maven3
Selecting 'maven3' for 'maven' failed: symlink:
/opt/local/etc/select/maven/current -> maven3: file already exists
$

Those are the 5 commands I execute and want to fix, I don't know if it
is a integration issue with maven2 or maven3, or an underlying port
select issue not handling uninstall selected ports.

The only way I found to fix this is, install maven2 or manually delete
"/opt/local/etc/select/maven/current".

John