2.0.1

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Jul 29 23:01:51 PDT 2011

On Jul 30, 2011, at 00:01, Joshua Root wrote:

> I think we'll want to release 2.0.1 pretty soon with the subport index
> fix. We should also revise the uid selection for added users (ticket
> #30464).

There had been a ticket or an email (I can't find it now) about build problems on Tiger, but I was able to selfupdate my Tiger G4 to 2.0.0. I'd like to make a Tiger disk image of 2.0.1.

One problem is that, although selfupdate said it created the macports user/group, I get the error "Warning: configured user/group macports does not exist, will build as root". Also, the Accounts section of System Preferences no longer opens, and console.log contains this line:

System Preferences[14212] *** NSRunLoop ignoring exception '*** -[NSCFString replaceCharactersInRange:withString:]: nil argument' that raised during posting of delayed perform with target 443120 and selector 'setCurrentPreference:'

I discovered using "dscl . -read /Users/macports" that the macports user did get created, but that its PrimaryGroupID is "Invalid". Reading the base code, I see where it finds an available user id and creates the user, but I don't see where it tries to find an available group id and create the group. Shouldn't that be done before creating the user? On Snow Leopard, both the user and the group appear to have been created just fine.

Unrelated, right before 2.0.0, we changed the macports user's shell from /dev/null to /usr/bin/false. Would /sbin/nologin be a better choice? I just found out about this program.