dseditgroup on Tiger

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jul 31 01:02:54 PDT 2011

On Jul 31, 2011, at 00:04, Joshua Root wrote:

> On 2011-7-31 13:59 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>> On Jul 30, 2011, at 20:23, Joshua Root wrote:
>>
>>> Looking at the source, it will use the local node if you don't specify
>>> any -n value. Does it work that way?
>>
>> Yes! That works on Tiger:
>
> Try installing with <https://trac.macports.org/changeset/81454>.

Thanks, that fixes the main problem. I confirmed that building trunk on top of 2.0.0 did create the macports group and put its id into the PrimaryGroupID field of the macports user. I also confirmed that deleting the macports user and group ("sudo dscl . -delete /Users/macports && sudo dscl . -delete /Groups/macports") and re-running the build did create the user and group correctly (for users who upgrade straight from 1.9.2 to 2.0.1).

The one remaining problem is System Preferences' Accounts pane not opening. The nil argument it's complaining about appears to be the user's display name. I fixed it with:

sudo dscl . -create /Users/macports RealName MacPorts

Now System Preferences' Accounts pane opens fine. Yes, the MacPorts user is displayed there, next to "Message\ Bus" (which has been there for years) and my regular user. Ideally we wouldn't display the macports user in System Preferences, but it doesn't really matter to me, and I don't know how to hide it. It doesn't show up there on Snow Leopard.