[79522] branches/gsoc11-statistics/base/src/port/port.tcl

Bradley Giesbrecht pixilla at macports.org
Sat Jun 18 05:47:34 PDT 2011

On Jun 16, 2011, at 12:52 PM, James Berry wrote:

> On Jun 16, 2011, at 12:44 PM, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
>
>> On Jun 16, 2011, at 3:40 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>> I assume you are correct. I'm not sure whether Bradley was pointing this out as a good or bad thing, but in my opinion it might be a bad thing. If I have ports installed that are not part of the MacPorts repository, I might not want the MacPorts project to know about them.

I question the usefulness of non-macports data. It could turn out the people have interesting port naming in private repos.

>> In which case you would simply not opt-in to turning on this data sharing, right?
>
> I suppose, too, that we could do some filtering of ports against the main repository. That might be tough on the client side, as I'm not sure we "know" which the main port tree is from the client perspective, but certainly on the server side, before any stats are collected (or maybe displayed?), the list of ports could be filtered against those ports in the main repository. Doing so would protect not just the "privacy" concerns that Ryan is worried about (though I also agree with Daniel's solution to these), but would also avoid any confusion by users due to the appearance of such "phantom" ports that would otherwise show up in usage but aren't available publicly.

We could add a flag to sources.conf "[report]".
/opt/local/var/macports/sources/svn.macports.org/trunk/dports [default][report]

And checksum the ports files, add the checksum to the registry and report that as well.

Regards,
Bradley Giesbrecht (pixilla)