"port -d extract" still returns md5 checksum

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Sun Jun 19 04:33:03 PDT 2011

On 2011-6-19 20:08 , Marko Käning wrote:
> I understood that package maintainers should be discouraged to still use the md5 checksum in Portfiles.
>
> "port -d extract" however still returns the md5 sum, which leads to additional editing needs on port upgrades.
>
> Are there plans to remove this in the next version of port?

No, existing use of md5 will continue to work for a long time. Using md5
isn't a problem, not using anything else is. Using md5 alone should
probably become an error in a future version.

The "correct checksum line may be" message when the checksums don't
match just uses whatever types are defined in the portfile, unless there
are none, in which case it suggests two default types, neither of which
is md5.

- Josh