universal_variant no

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Tue Jun 21 11:23:44 PDT 2011

On 2011-6-22 04:01 , Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:
> opendkim depends on libmilter which does not have a universal variant.
>
> Does this alone mean that I must/should add "universal_variant   no" to my opendkim Portfile?

Depends on how the dependency is used. If it's an architecture-specific
library that is linked against, which seems likely from the name in this
case, then yes, you should also disable universal in the dependent.
Otherwise users will just get an arch mismatch error when they try it.

If the dependency just provided a command which was executed by the
dependent in a separate process, then the archs wouldn't need to match
and you could put it in depends_skip_archcheck and leave universal enabled.

- Josh