Changes for pari 2.5.0

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at macports.org
Wed Jun 29 09:56:13 PDT 2011

On Jun 29, 2011, at 7:18 AM, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> Perhaps I could try qt and fltk, as there are ports for them.
> I don't know whether PARI has been tested with them under Mac OS X.
> Do you have any information about their quality?

See below.

> For the description of x11, I could say:
>
>  Build with X11 support for the high-resolution plotting functions

Yeah, that sounds good.  ditto for qt and fltk if they work.

> If qt and/or fltk variants are possible, should there be a default
> variant?

I would argue that there should be no default variant for the plotting.  I used pari extensively in college cryptography and never used the plotting feature once.  I'm sure others have no need for it as well.  The GUI libraries are a lot to pull in for a feature that won't be used often.  If someone needs it, they probably have the variant set.

--Jeremy