policy about python_select

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Mon Mar 7 22:45:06 PST 2011

On Tue, Mar 08, 2011 at 07:21:48AM +0100, vincent habchi said:
> Hi to all,
>
> > whatever) need to be fixed to use the specific version of python or gcc or whatever that they want. The gcc case is described in the wiki page UsingTheRightCompiler; extrapolate from there for the other *_selects.
>
> Okay Ryan. I'll alter the Portfile to accommodate to this policy. But, with increasing simultaneous versions of python (2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 3.0, 3.1 and now 3.2), it is going to be really painful – even if it is mostly a copy/paste affair – to support all variants in python-dependant packages. Somehow, can we afford to support six different versions?

2.5 is old, 2.6 is going that way, so 2.7 is really the only 2.x worth
focusing on at this point.  Note that there is no 3.0 port, replaced by 3.1,
and 3.2 was recently released so you shouldn't have to worry about that yet,
especially considering the complete lack of py32 ports.  This means the list
really should just be two: 2.7 and 3.1.  However, there are still quite a
few ports (eg. lots of gnome) that still use 2.6 so that number maybe three
depending on the situation.

Bryan