GSoC idea: MacPorts GUI

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Wed Mar 30 00:48:57 PDT 2011

Hello Per,

On 2011-03-29 21:34 , Per Österlund wrote:
> My name is Per Österlund. I'd like to work on the GUI for MacPorts.

thank you for your interest in MacPorts.

> [...]
> I think it'd be a nice thing if MacPorts GUI reminded of the GUI for
> Mac AppStore and iTunes Store. Familiarity and all that! Adding to
> the native feel is probably a good idea, for many reasons. It makes
> it easier for the casual user to grip what the point is and it
> strengthens the overall feel of the usability of OSX and it's related
> software (as a possible secondary effect).

Did you have a chance to take a look at the existing GUI yet?
Do you have specific plans what would make it feel more native?

What I always wanted to have was to differenciate between command line
tools, graphical applications and libraries. We could add specific
secondary categories for these. Then the GUI could filter out libraries
and present applications only - as that is what the user usally want to
install. That would be more like MacPorts Store.

Rainer

PS: Of course it's not a "Store", MacPorts is for free :-)