[GSoC][rev-upgrade] proposal

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Wed Mar 30 10:59:22 PDT 2011

On 2011-03-30 18:38 , Felipe Tanus wrote:
>> How would you handle build errors? Is everything lost then and it has to
>> examine all libraries are again? Can that data be stored and reused?
>
> I was thinking about pointing the error, then it was on users hand. Do
> you think on a better approach? Maybe keep a snapshot from the
> packages versions after each port installed, and use something like
> "rev-upgrade --force" to find the last working set of packages?

My intention here was that walking the filesystem over all binaries and
libraries takes time, checking them takes time, too. If a build breaks,
doing all the checks again can be cumbersome. The previous calculated
result could probably be reused under certain circumstances, for example
no changes to registry. Gentoo's revdep-rebuild is able to store results
and can continue where it left off.

I am not saying this is a requirement for this task. I just suggested
that to give you something to think about in case it's too straight
forward ;-)

Rainer