#31186 off-trac & Guide

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Nov 19 03:08:09 PST 2011

On Nov 19, 2011, at 05:01, Marko wrote:

> Hi Ryan,
>
> thanks for all your feedback today!

Hope you don't mind, I'm replying on the mailing list.

> Concerning #31186 I just wanted to say that, yes, you are right that the Guide isn't wrong, BUT, it would be less confusing if the "/MacPorts" subfolder would not be omitted. The prefix certainly already ensures the distinguishing between different installs, but the "/MacPorts" subfolder would also keep the parallel installs in the same directory tree scheme.

I don't see a reason to suggest doing that. Feel free to do it yourself in your own installation if that makes you feel more organized. To me it's redundant.

I'd much rather make the default applications_dir ${prefix}/Applications, with a symlink at /Applications/MacPorts pointing to it, since the #1 reason people change applications_dir is to avoid overlap between multiple MacPorts installations. At least I assume that's the main reason. It's certainly the reason I do. We already changed the default frameworks_dir from /Library/Frameworks to ${prefix}/Library/Frameworks some years ago for the same reason. I'm just not sure how we're going to handle upgrading people from the old applications_dir default to the new one.

> I came across a few points today which I'm going to update in the Guide.
>
> Once again I feel the necessity of ONE location for documentation.
> The man pages are completely decoupled from the Guide, but they are well written. Still, some stuff is not present in there, which should be, but I guess this is going to come as the core developers feel confident enough concerning their latest improvements.
>
> And then we also have the wiki… ;-)

Yes, our documentation situation is not very cohesive.