[86145] trunk/dports/kde/kstars/Portfile

Nicolas Pavillon nicos at macports.org
Thu Oct 20 01:31:57 PDT 2011

Hello,

> Just deleting the dependency is probably not sufficient. You also need to ensure that the dependency doesn't get used, even if it is already installed.

Ah, ok. I was not aware of this nuance about variants, where I understood them as "I don't want the full dependencies to be installed" instead of "I don't want the features even if I have the dependencies already installed", where the latter seems to be the correct one.

> Furthermore, "no_" variants are deprecated; these days, it should be an "x11" variant, that adds the dependency, and is enabled by default.

Alright, I was also not aware of this. I have however the feeling that I could not find this point in the manual, and the guide seems not up to date on this matter: http://guide.macports.org/#using.port.variants even lists some "no_" variants as examples. Perhaps it should be updated ?

Just to not make mistakes twice, in the case of an "x11" variant, I imagine that just adding the dependency should be enough, or should it be ensured that dependencies are not used even if already installed ?

Cheers,

Nicolas