Packages ignoring applications_dir

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Fri Sep 9 03:14:24 PDT 2011

Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> Looks like we need to modify base: if the user has non-standard paths they cannot use the pre-built packages.
>>
>> Better yet, the applications_dir *should* be relocated to ${prefix}
>> just like frameworks_dir was (successfully). With a symlink set up:
>>
>> /Applications/MacPorts -> /opt/local/Applications

> I don't disagree with you, but it doesn't change the fact that if the user has customized applications_dir, then the packages the buildbot built won't install to the right place on the user's system. Your suggestion to change the default applications_dir doesn't fix that problem, though perhaps it makes it less likely that the user will need to customize applications_dir, since the primary reason I know of to do so is to avoid collisions between two MacPorts installations.

Both should be done, the applications_dir should be included in the
list of variables that affect the archive usability (like prefix now)

Just saying that if the applications_dir was fixed in base, then the
user wouldn't need to customize it since it would already be prefixed.

e.g. fix the problem now in 2.0.x, change the default value in 2.1 ?

--anders