Synchronizing Two Macports Installations

Francisco Garcia Rodriguez public at francisco-garcia.net
Thu Sep 29 14:14:31 PDT 2011

Hi people

I have two macs at home and I would like to offload some work to my mac mini. One of the things I do not want to do is compiling twice in every machine. so far my crazy poor man solution is using Unison. Since I have an awful feeling before falling sleep every night I want to do something about it.

So far my best reference to know what NOT to synchronize is the File Hierarchy of the manuals, but still my biggest concern is the potential problem of synchronizing both machines with different installed ports since the last sync. Also the file permissions are messed up.

I am not sure if a solution could be just syncing the var/macports/ build and software folders. In that case I could make an script that after a sync, pull the installed packages of the other computer and try to auto-install/remove its own ports

However I am convinced that this idea/need is so common that someone must have worked on it already. Any of you have a reference/blog post?

thanks!
Francisco