Python compiler issues and binary packages

Dan Ports dports at macports.org
Mon Apr 9 13:23:34 PDT 2012

What's happening here is that the pymol port, like most Python modules
using setuptools/distribute (as well as most perl modules, etc) builds
using the same compiler that was used to build Python, not the one
specified by configure.compiler.

This sounds like a pretty serious problem now that we have binary
packages. It was already an issue before, because it meant that
python/perl/etc needed to be rebuilt if the compiler moved. But now it's
worse, because the compiler path that's getting hardcoded into the
Python binary is the one used on our buildbot. (It doesn't help that
the buildbot is using an older version of Xcode, but this would still
be an issue if it were running the latest version).

I suppose the way to fix this is to get perl/python/etc ports to start
respecting configure.compiler instead of using the version that's
hard-coded into the interpreter. It remains to be seen whether there
are any issues that come up if they're actually built using different
compilers.

Dan

--
Dan R. K. Ports              MIT CSAIL                http://drkp.net/