Fwd: package installation fails with Homebrew

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Wed Apr 11 04:40:44 PDT 2012

On 2012-04-11 13:05, Elmar Stellnberger wrote:
>  It would be very nice if macports supported to compile a certain set
> of base packages
> without having to install the full bloated Xcode environment (which
> consumes too much
> disk space on my computer).

The directory /Applications/Xcode.app takes up merely 1.6 GB on my machine. I
think this amount of disk space is acceptable. Is this really a problem for you?

> Kenneth Reitz`s homebrew gcc would to my mind be a
> good light-weight alternative.

Mind that this package is not a legal distribution of the software as it
violates the license agreement [1] which comes with the Developer Tools. The
license does not grant the right to redistribute a modified version. In case the
user produces the subset locally on their own machine, then this could be legal
as it is not a redistribution.

> It is very annoying that many packages
> compile well but
> then just fail on installation like gcc47 and darwinbuild.
>  autobuild, apple-gcc42 and mc are doing well yet, on the other hand.

gcc47 is a pre-release and might fail for some other reason.

What kind of build errors did you experience? What was missing compared to a a
regular Xcode installation?

The main problem for supporting such a lighter set of dependencies with regard
to the Developer Tools would be to track which ports require what parts of
Xcode/Developer Tools, as currently these are implied for all ports.

Rainer

[1] http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/xcode.pdf