science ports upgrade to gcc47

Eric A. Borisch eborisch at macports.org
Mon Aug 6 11:18:08 PDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 11:44 AM, Sean Farley
<sean.michael.farley at gmail.com> wrote:
>> arpack
>> cfitsio
>> dotwrp
>> fftw-3
>> fftw-3-long
>> fftw-3-single
>> qrupdate
>> wgrib2
>
> These are all bogus because they only have a +gcc4X for the fortran
> compiler. The C/C++ code is still compiled with clang (or whichever is
> the default C compiler from MacPorts).

I'm curious where the consensus lies with respect to this difference.

I've taken the approach (in the ports I manage with said variants)
that +gccNN means "please ignore all other compilers and use this
(family) for everything." Other ports, like those above and some
others, use the +gccNN flag just to enable fortran bindings, an choose
to only use the gccNN port's gfortran as described by Sean above.

Any thoughts / best practices for this? I'm in favor of the all-in
approach when a compiler variant is provided, but perhaps there are
counter-examples where this is broken?

Thanks,
 Eric