python24-26 policy

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Sat Dec 8 18:24:30 PST 2012

On Dec 8, 2012, at 5:52 PM, Ned Deily wrote:

> In article <50C3D30A.2080704 at macports.org>,
> Joshua Root <jmr at macports.org> wrote:
>
>> On 2012-12-9 10:31 , Aljaž Srebrnič wrote:
>>> Hello list!
>>> I'd like to know what's the policy with maintaining py2[4-6]- ports…
>>> Shouldn't we gradually drop support for older python versions?
>>
>> With the unified portgroup there's almost no extra effort involved in
>> having them. I don't think there's any reason to drop them until
>> upstream does.

Agreed.

> WRT Python itself: Python 2.4.x and 2.5.x are no longer supported in any
> way by the PSF Python project (www.python.org).  Python 2.6.x is in
> security-fix-only mode until October 2013.  Python 2.7 is current and in
> an extended maintenance mode period (bug fixes, security fixes, no new
> features); no date has yet been established for when it will move to
> security-fix-only mode.   Python 2.7.x is the final release series for
> Python 2.

My take its up to the maintainer, if they want to maintain Python modules for older releases, they can.  I don't think we should go out of the way to remove support for older Python releases.  Regardless of when Python 2.7.x moves to security-fix-mode, I strongly feel we should maintain that ongoingly for a long long time.

Blair