Tcl versions with threads enabled

Gustaf Neumann neumann at wu.ac.at
Sat Feb 4 01:20:56 PST 2012

Dear all,

three weeks ago, i asked on macports-users how to proceed in
cases where ports depending on Tcl with thread support
should be realized. From my distant view, there are three

a) port variants (no good idea, since we can't have
dependencies on these)
b) making tcl threaded by default (my personal favorite,
other tcl unix distros went this way)
c) subports (not sure, if this is worth the potential
confusion, when there are two version of the
    same software release around, probably, one has to
mangle names for the dylibs on macports)

Other usages of subports i have seen are for version number
management. Currently there is just a "tcl" port, no tcl8.4,
tcl8.5 or tcl 8.6 port. For this purpose, subports appear
(to my limited knowlege) the way to go. Btw: Some of the
ports depending on tcl fail currently due to the fact that
they depend on tcl 8.4, but the "tcl" port is actually 8.5.

Is there any decision making process on the way? Anything i
can do?

Is there anything i can do to accelerate the three tickets
below?
(all have a patch or Portfile attached, these are easy to test)

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/32858
https://trac.macports.org/ticket/32859
https://trac.macports.org/ticket/32899

Best regards