Hosting and reviving the Porticus source code

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Sat Feb 18 19:30:00 PST 2012

On 2012-2-15 06:36 , Guido wrote:
> On my request, Richard Laing has made available the source code of
> Porticus on his blog: <http://alittledrop.com/blog/?p=49#comments
> (<http://porticus.alittledrop.com/downloads/Porticus.zip>).
>
> The code is very well commented and it shouldn't be too difficult to
> update it for supporting Lion and MacPorts 2.0, which are not
> officially supported.
>
> If there is some interest in hosting and reviving the code of Porticus
> here on MacOSForge, I could actively participate.

My main concern about this is that the code is not available under an
open source license. People other than the author can't really do any
development unless that changes. So I don't think we can host it as
things stand. (Even a note from the author saying "Consider the Porticus
source code to be under license X" would be fine, he doesn't necessarily
have to do stuff like add a license header to every file.)

Our preference would be something permissive like MIT or BSD, but it's
the author's decision of course. Apple probably wouldn't like hosting
anything under the GPL, especially GPLv3.

>From a technical POV, I do agree with Rainer that using the framework is
a more sustainable approach than parsing port's output. That's not to
say that a lot of the Porticus code couldn't still be useful.

- Josh