reduce fails to build on 10.6

Mark Brethen mark.brethen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 20:46:23 PST 2012

I'm having no problem building reduce on lion whereas it fails on snow leopard, which surprises me. I've reviewed the config logs from both systems and have noticed:

- The ports' config files test for "gcc" and "g++", these tests pass on lion, but don't on snow leopard.
- config.guess returns the correct build system type (x86_64) on lion, but i386 on snow leopard.
- it appears to force a universal build on snow-leopard (is macports doing this?)
- No SDK found on snow leopard, yet it exists

These lines appear in the sl main.log, but not in lion:

:info:configure gcc -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk -arch ppc -arch i386 -framework Carbon -framework CoreServices -framework ApplicationServices conftest.c -o conftest
:info:configure gcc: Error: You should be using ${configure.cc}
:info:configure See http://trac.macports.org/wiki/UsingTheRightCompiler
:info:configure gcc -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk -arch ppc -arch i386 -framework Carbon -framework CoreServices -framework ApplicationServices conftest.c -o conftest
:info:configure gcc: Error: You should be using ${configure.cc}
:info:configure See http://trac.macports.org/wiki/UsingTheRightCompiler
:info:configure gcc -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -arch ppc -arch i386 -framework Carbon -framework CoreServices -framework ApplicationServices conftest.c -o conftest
:info:configure gcc: Error: You should be using ${configure.cc}
:info:configure See http://trac.macports.org/wiki/UsingTheRightCompiler

Is there any guarantee that patching all the makefiles' "gcc" calls with "$(CC)" will fix it?

In addition, Xport fails to build, which is needed to download the psl binaries. I know this worked on snow leopard for ryan, but this time, I'm overriding macport's config phase. Could this also be causing errors?

Mark