Python 2.4

Dan Ports dports at macports.org
Wed Jan 18 17:08:20 PST 2012

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 06:43:11PM -0600, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> Since there used to exist a py-paver port based on python24, you should not set python.default_version 27; you should leave python.default_version at its default value of 24.

Maybe it's time for us to consider dropping support for Python 2.4.
It's more than five years out of date and it's increasingly common to
find modules that don't support it.

Admittedly, the benefit to removing the py24 ports is pretty small, but
I've seen people confused about the fact that py-foo is the python 2.4
version and they need to install a versioned port like py27-foo instead
to get what they really want. It'd be nice to eliminate that.

(In fact, it's arguably even worse that now installing py-foo usually
gives you py24-foo if it exists, sometimes gives you py27-foo, and
occasionally gives you something different entirely. We ought to make
the stub ports do something more consistent, or even just give an error
when trying to install the stub.)

Dan

--
Dan R. K. Ports              MIT CSAIL                http://drkp.net/