After Changeset 94655: several warnings and one failed (re-)install (p5-sgml-parser-opensp)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jun 27 14:14:55 PDT 2012

On Jun 27, 2012, at 07:32, sierkb at gmx.de wrote:

> Several minutes ago, I've done a
>
> $ sudo port -f uninstall p5.12-gd p5-gd p5.12-locale-gettext p5-locale-gettext
>
> And to be sure:
>
> $ sudo port clean --all p5.12-gd p5-gd p5.12-locale-gettext p5-locale-gettext
>
> Result by the way:
>
> An empty /opt/local/var/macports/registry/portfiles directory (as it has been empty and maybe nonexistent until yesterday's port update).
>
> And afterwards a re-install:

[snip]

> NO WARNING!
>
> And: still an empty /opt/local/var/macports/registry/portfiles directory.

[snip]

> Guess what?
> Amazingly no warning ("Failed to open Portfile from registry for …") and still an empty /opt/local/var/macports/registry/portfiles directory.
>
> So, now I raise the question: what has happened yesterday, that these warnings appeared (in the course of a port update) and the /opt/local/var/macports/registry/portfiles directory has contained interim:

Joshua applied a fix to the portgroup in r94686 that avoids the warnings.

I don't know whether /opt/local/var/macports/registry/portfiles is supposed to contain things or not or what it's used for. On my system it contains 336 directories created at various times between January 2011 and yesterday. If MacPorts is working correctly (you can install and use and upgrade and uninstall ports) then I wouldn't worry about how all of it works under the hood.