[MacPorts] #32785: arm-elf-binutils @2.21.52.0.2 - Build Failure

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Mar 1 06:52:10 PST 2012

On Mar 1, 2012, at 03:35, Andrea D'Amore wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 16:17, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>> I understand those are conceptually dfferent, but shouldn't CFLAGS
>>> have -I${prefix}/include as well by default?
>>
>> I don't see any reason to do so.
>
> I do, I was mixing CPATH and CFLAGS roles.
>
> The point seems to be that clang honors CPATH since november 2011 [1]
> and probably the compiler shipped with xcode 4.3 is past that.

I would be pleased!

> I'd suggest to patch behavior in portconfigure to add
> -I${prefix}/include and -L${prefix}/lib to CFLAGS and LDFLAGS [2] if
> the compiler is from Xcode 4.2.

I still don't understand why this is relevant. Build systems should support CPPFLAGS. If they do not, the problem can be reported to the developers of those build systems. If the developers do not fix this problem, then we can manually fix it in individual ports by adding ${configure.cppflags} to configure.cflags and/or configure.cxxflags.